Senior Seminar--Math 401
MWF 12:30-2:00 -- SC 1313
Wednesday, April 11, 2012,
12:19 PM )
Office Hours: M 2:00-2:50, Tu 2:30-3:20, W 11:30-12:20, Th 10:30-11:30, F 12:00-12:50.
Can't make any of these?
Please see my schedule to find a time when you might be able to make an appointment with me!
Description of Semester-Long Project
Peer Review Forms
Some Helpful Links
- A Guide To Writing An Abstract, aimed (I think) at undergraduates -- certainly, at students.
- Advice on Giving a Good PowerPoint Presentation, a brief article by Joe Gallian, aimed at undergraduates
- How To Give A Good 20 Minute Math Talk, aimed at graduate students speaking at conferences, but still has some helpful hints
- Technically Speaking, a series of brief videos from Denison, aimed at undergraduates
- Special Aspects of Writing Mathematics, a substantial article by Stephen Maurer. Aimed at undergraduates. The actual guide begins on page 3. While originally written for Calculus students, it appears to generalize very well.
- A Guide to Writing in Mathematics Classes, this is my version of a fairly common guide to more expository writing in Calculus classes. While it is tied into the checklist I use for that class, and is aimed at more casual writing, it may still have some useful nuggets.
Some Important Dates
- Monday 2/1: Class in the Woolley Room; start looking for first article for project
- Wednesday 2/6: Article for project selected (e-mail me the pdf file)
- Friday 3/23: Outline of Paper due
- Wednesday 4/4: Outline of Presentation due
- Friday 4/16: Rough Draft of Paper due, 3:30pm
- Monday 4/9, Wednesday 4/11 - meet with me about presentation
- 4/9-4/15: Prepare Presentation. Give, receive reviews of practice talk(s).
- Friday 4/13: Abstract of Presentation due, 3:30pm (e-mail it to me)
- Monday 4/16: Feedback due -- peer-reviewed presentation(s)
- Monday 4/16, Wednesday 4/18, and Monday 4/23: practice presentations in class
- Monday 4/23: 2nd Draft of Paper due for peer review.
- 4/23, 4/30: Final Presentations, 3:30-5:30
- Wednesday 5/2: Feedback due, Peer-Reviewed Paper (You will discuss them in class)
- Monday 5/7 : Final Paper due, 5pm (Give me a hard-copy and e-mail it to me. .pdf file if possible; .docx if not)
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Science Center, Room 1306
Norton, Massachusetts 02766-0930
TEL (508) 286-3973
FAX (508) 285-8278
Back to: My Homepage | Math and CS